Everything and Everyone Connected
“In my paintings, Everything flows together. Diverse colors, lines and shapes - People, places, plants and things are woven into one harmoniously functional ecosystem. I want to subtly remind viewers that we humans, in all our diversity, are essentially interconnected, and with thoughtfulness, can function together harmoniously as well.” - Mike Biskup
MIKE BISKUP is a contemporary watercolor painter living and working on Washington State's verdant Olympic Peninsula. Born in 1970 in Los Angeles, he spent his youngest years voraciously drawing quirky characters, complex contraptions and way out worlds with his two older brothers. Artwork flowed onto all of his papers at school bringing accolades from most of his teachers. At UC Santa Cruz, he swam in a richly blended stream of artistic freedom, Zen Buddhism and Native American spiritual consciousness while earning a degree in Fine Art. After school, Mike spent two decades homeschooling three intrepid children in the wilds of Port Townsend. Nest emptied, he embraced his role as a bringer of visions in the Artist/Shaman tradition elucidated profoundly by Joseph Campbell. At age 50, a powerful mystical experience shed new light on Everything… Find Mike at The Elevator of Everything in Port Townsend, or The Green Way (A Guesthouse, Gallery, Studio, and Sanctuary) in nearby Gardiner, where he shares his Art, opens his heart, plays a lot of music, and speaks freely about…Everything.
How I paint...
When I start a painting, I turn on some music, sit down with a blank sheet of paper and choose whether to begin with black ink or watercolor paint. I rely on improvisation and a stream of consciousness approach to let my life's experiences bubble up and flow out as shapes and lines, colors and textures. When I judge that things are going badly, I remind myself that almost every painting seems like a failure at 1/3 of the way in. I chuckle to myself and keep going. Soon, things begin looking interesting and I let go of my judgements. I am most satisfied when the painting seems to create itself. However, I'm beginning to feel good when things are going badly as that can be an indication that I'm breaking new ground - doing something in a new way.
After each layer I stand back. I watch. I wait. Sometimes I wait days, weeks, or even years to add another layer. This process of painting and contemplation is always happening in my studio with many different pieces in many stages of completion. Eventually the paintings reach their maximum level of energy and flow. Finished!
Why I paint…
I paint to share what's on my mind and heart and to find out what the next painting will look like...
My work is often an exploration of what Buddhist Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh has called ‘Interbeing’. “If you are a poet, you will see clearly that there is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. Without a cloud, there will be no rain; without rain, the trees cannot grow; and without trees, we cannot make paper. The cloud is essential for the paper to exist. If the cloud is not here, the sheet of paper cannot be here either.” - Thich Nhat Hanh.
Where to find me and my paintings...
Contact me anytime to inquire about anything or Everything.
Visit me at Mike Biskup's Elevator of Everything on Saturdays in Dowtown Port Townsend at 630 Water St or make an appointment to visit my studio, and/or catch "Musings On The Green Way - An Act" on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month at The Green Way.
Bainbridge Arts and Crafts: BAC is a 75 year old non profit gallery. All sales benefit local art education programs on Bainbridge Island, WA. They have a beautiful gallery with a rotating selection of my originals available. A (beautiful) 30 min ferry from Seattle.
Saatchi Art: Online Art Gallery.
Originals and Limited Edition Archival Prints available in multiple sizes framed or unframed.
Singulart: Online Art Gallery based in Paris.
Selected Events, Exhibitions, Performances, and Publications:
• 2022 Mike Biskup's Elevator of Everything. Rotating Art, Music, etc 630 Water St in Downtown Port Townsend. Saturdays 11-5pm Or later when the weather is lovely. Drop in and say hi any Saturday. I'm also open many Fridays and Sundays. Saturdays for certain... :)
• 2022 - "Musings On The Green Way - An Act" 1st and 3rd Sundays 1pm - At The Elevator of Everything. 630 Water St, Port Townsend, WA.
• 2022 - Open Studio at The Green Way. Contact me for an invitation, directions etc.
• 2021 - The Church of Change #437 presents Father Michael Allen Biskup's Musings on The Green Way. 1st and 3rd Sundays at Mike Biskup's Elevator of Everything, 630 Water St in Downtown Port Townsend.
• 2020 - On Street, Outdoor, Summer Exhibit in Downtown Port Townsend, WA.
• 2019 - (It’s) This Way to That Way, Solo Exhibition at Bainbridge Arts and Crafts, Bainbridge
• 2019 - The Other Art Fair Brooklyn, April
• 2019 - The Other Art Fair Los Angeles, March
• 2018 - Connected, Solo Exhibition at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art (BIMA)
• 2018 - Fort Wonder Solo Exhibition - Taps, Fort Worden, Port Townsend, WA
• 2018 - The Watercolour Ideas Book - pg. 64 Ilex Press.
• 2018 - The Other Art Fair Lost Angeles presented by SaatchiArt.
• 2018 - Bellevue Art Museum - Art Fair
• 2017 - Thanks For Sharing, The Art of Instant Global Inspiration. 19 Artists from 10 countries curated by myself. Port Townsend, WA
• 2017 - Translucence Bainbridge Arts and Crafts. Bainbridge Island, WA. July.
• 2017 - Professional Artist Magazine, Featured June/July Issue
• 2016 - A Group Thing, Juried Group Exhibition at Thomas Young Gallery in Boston, MA.
• 2016 - Windfalls Solo Exhibition at Flatcolor Gallery, Seattle
• 2016 - Featured Artist at Northwind Arts Center in Port Townsend, WA
• 2016 - Featured Artist in Amadeus Magazine Issue #08 - http://amadeusmag.com
• 2015 - Big Butter, A Step Felt In Full with Tim Biskup at Slow Culture Gallery, Los Angeles.
• 2015 - Artist in Residence, The Ace Hotel, Palm Springs, CA (February)
• 2014 - Site Specific 4’ X 36’ Mural, Better Living Through Coffee, Port Townsend, WA.
• 2012 - Site Specific Performance, Big Butter, Martha Otero Gallery. Los Angeles, CA.
• 2009 - Playground with Woody Dennis, Lee Katzenbach, Jesse Joshua Watson, and Jason Gould. Northwinds art Center, Port Townsend, WA.
• 2007 - Port Townsend Film Festival Poster Artist
• 1986 - Present: Big Butter: The Experimental Music, Art, and Performance Duo of Mike and Tim Biskup.
1993 - BFA, UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA